Friday 20 June 2014

Five for Friday

Hello Friday!

Another tiring week has passed by but there are still 4 and a half weeks of school left before the summer holidays - how can that be?!

I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Friday to share some of the random things I've been doing this week.



Animation Update

 Sorry! I've been out of class for various reasons this week so have not had a chance to make the cut-out animations that were next on my list. As an animation fix, I'll direct you to a Wordless Wednesday post from a couple of weeks ago where I shared an amazing short film in a pop up book style called the Happy Duckling. If you have a few minutes, it's worth a watch!



Phonics Testing

Each year, all 5-6 year olds have to do a phonics screening check test. It is widely hated and thought pointless but we still have to do it! Last year some children did not do so well for a mixture of reasons so they had to retake this year. It's a mixture of nonsense and real words. Here are some of the words they had to read:

Bulm
Thrand
Scroy
Cloisk
Foid
Strad

They could not get their tongues around bulm at all (and I can't really blame them although they struggled with pumpkin too!). It's a silly test but I was still pleased with how well they all did!


Work we are proud of

 On Monday Made It I shared this display we have in the corridor. 



We had some inspectors in this week (we had a ridiculous number in actually) and they were big fans of it. The kids love having their own space to display work and I've caught a few of them talking as they work about whether they'll put that piece up on display and why they think it's a good piece of learning etc. Exactly what I wanted!


Author Visit

We have an Josh Lacey coming in on Tuesday to do writing workshops with years 2-5. I've brought some of his books home to read this weekend. We're all very excited about meeting him!



Organisation

Even though there's still weeks if school left, I can't help but think of the new school year. I'm determined to be super organised next year. This was by far the biggest help in my quest for organisation this year. 


I saw the idea on Pinterest here and replicated in my own cupboard. I know there must be loads of great posts about classroom organisation just waiting to be read by me over the holidays. 
In the meantime, what was your  biggest life/time saver this year?

Have a great weekend whatever you're doing!






3 comments:

  1. I love seeing your animation projects come along. I also use the shoe organizer for other storage. I use it at home in my pantry to hold all those little things that get lost easily.
    Mrs. Spriggs’ Kindergarten Pond

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen that shoe hanger on Pinterest too! For me I think the biggest time/life saver this past year was having a printer in my classroom that also makes copies. My room is too far away from the school copier to dash out to make one copy! I also recently purchased a laminator for $20 and I think it's going to be a great find indeed!
    Have a great weekend Pixie Anne!
    Carol
    Teachers Are Terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The icons are AWESOME! I'm so glad you tried making them! Cute-cute-cute!
    Carol
    Teachers Are Terrific!

    ReplyDelete